HW: Love in Space and all that

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri May 24 13:23:01 EDT 1996

        Well, having at least temporarily reinflated my bank account
it was time to cut loose and catch a HawkCD :)  So Love in Space.

        You can tell it's a real HW album from the sloppy packaging
errors :)  Mispelling Paul Rudolph's name, getting on of the song
lengths in the wrong colour, etc. :)
        The pictures and booklet are very nice, the cover is cool.
However the digipak business has gotten completely out of control.
There is no way to easily manipulate the CDs in and out of this bastard!
I will have no choice but to buy a blank 2CD jewelcase to put the CDs
in.  I could handle _Alien 4_ but this is too much.

        However, otherwise, this is, as the immortal Lemmy would say,
and first let's pause to add just one more extra comma to this sentance,
a very good album! :)

        The sound is clear, the performances are good.  It _does_
rather redo _Alien 4_, so if you have to pick one, as the immortal
Andy (I think) said, get this one.  At worst you'll miss "Festivals",
which is a decent tune, and at best miss "Beam Me Up", which is a
god-awful mess :)
        I've only really skimmed thru it so far, but so far so good.
There's more from Data in between Robot and Alien I Am than there is
from the sample on _Alien 4_.  I assume it's still all from the same
episode?  Only further complaint is that the guitar and bass should be
more crushingly heavy, but that's a complaint I apply generally to
a lot of music ("How did you like 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy'?
'Not bad, but the guitar and bass should be more crushingly heavy--that
Tchaichovsky bloke should have mixed them higher!').  However, this
is not a complaint I make about _Space Ritual_ ... ;)

        Also, since "Assassins" *does* appear to begin with "Space
is Their Palestine" I can't figure out why they didn't take the
opportunity to garner some royalties out of it.  Doesn't seem like
them ... ;)

Cheers,
Carl