darXtar: Sju

Paul G Ward paul at PCMICRO.COM.AU
Sun May 26 17:51:21 EDT 1996

Months late, but better than never .....

Band:                   darXtar
Title:                  Sju
Label:                  SBm SBMCDA 002
1st Release:    1996 (on Black Widow Records BWRCD012-2)
Artists:                K Sören Bengtsson - vocals, guitar, keyboards
                                Patric Danielsson - drums, vocals, harp, sax, keyboards
                                Sören Mårtensson - hammond, keyboards, voice
                                Marcus Pehrsson - bass, vocals, hair

I must admit that I awaited the arrival of this mini-LP with
anticipation after the pleasurable experience of the previous
release, "Daybreak". I had high expectations, and I am glad to
report that I was not dissapointed! This new album is a major leap
forward for these talented Swedes. Once more they deliver Space Rock
with style, but with a more progressive edge.

The opening track "Obstakel" astounds the senses with it's short but
memorable barrage of inspired Hammond organ .... darXtar manage
somehow to display their 70's influences (Emerson Lake and Palmer
spring to mind), but without sounding at all retrospective. By the
end of this rather short instrumental (just over 2 1/2 minutes), you
realize that this rele ase is quite different from anything they have
done before.

The frenetic guitar comes to a dramatic close and soon gives way to
the gentler 'title' track, "7". With sweeping synthesizer sounds in
the background, a spoken tale of space (in true darXtar fashion ) is
soon replaced with drums, bass and keyboards. I'm happy to report
that this track lasts for over sixteen minutes ..... never enough
for the many musical variations which darXtar manage to endow on the
senses! There is some brilliant musicmanship in this piece, the
Commander's vocal style providing the perfect accompaniment to the
(now more subdued) hammond, combined with talented drum work, and
gentle but powerfull bass and lead guitar, and the ever present but
not overpowering electronic noises in the background. This is a
track that makes you float off into space as you close your ey es and
become immersed in it's ethereal beauty. The extended guitar 'solo'
in the center of the track must be heard to be believed. It has been
described as Gilmour-esque, with which I must agree  .. ... but I
feel that perhaps the comparison should not be made - darXtar are
not emulating Pink Floyd (or Hawkwind for that matter) but are
presenting the Universe in their own unique style.

The strains of an (intentionally) poorly played violin to the tune of
"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" are rudely interrupted by the first
drum beats of the albums rockiest track "This Alien Nation". This
makes for a dramatic change from the soulful epic which we just
departed - a real toe tapper! I firmly believe that darXtar should
release this track as a single as it would surely make the charts w
orld wide! It would definitely serve to introduce the more
conservative rock 'n roll market to the marvels of darXtar ... but
this is no sell out to commerciallism, don't get me wrong! All the
sides of darXtar that their fans have come to love are there in
abundance .... including the hammond! Space Rock for the masses a
reality ???

As the dying strains fade away, an "Eastern Wind" (literally)
breezes in. The pace drops once again, but none of the power so far
generated is lost. This track has a pulsating energy expertly
present ed, and the surprising change in pace half way through to the
strains of a somehow guttural harp and cheerful bass line amazes me
every time ... until it drops away for the hammond to join in as all
the instruments combine in a near explosion of sound. I think that
they enjoyed recording this one!

As the wind breezes away, strange creatures are heard in a
primordial forest, and a repeated single note on the organ is soon
joined by some pounding drums, crazed guitar and wailing vocals in
the fi nal piece on the album. "It's Enough" is a poor title for the
closing track, as it definitely isn't ... I want more! 'Chunky' is
as a good a description as any, how do you categorize such a
neurotic track? The music fades, and just as you believe it's over a
voice warns you 'Watch out ... here they come!', and the final
guitar explosion occurs, before fading across the galaxy .........

This is undoubtedly the finest recording in the Progressive Rock
category of the year thus far. darXtar have combined their many
influences into a package which outshines anything they have
released before .... which is no mean feat! If this is any sign of
things to come, their forthcoming concept album will be one to grab
for sure!