off: 1st trip to uk, advice please?

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon May 27 12:36:25 EDT 1996

Carl E. Anderson writes:

> > hello. my wife karyn and i will be travelling to london for the four
> > shows there,and we've only booked lodgings for the first night,in the
> > marble arch area,at $120 u.s.
> >     this is causing myself some small anxiety,but we thought it possible
> > that we may be able to find a more economically sound lodging once
> > there.
> >     is this a bad idea?any suggestions?please help, as the Rx next door
> > is nearly out of rolaids.... rj
>
>         The last night my family stayed in England before we left in '84
> we stayed in the Salvation Army hotel in London.  The Ritz is was not
> but it was a good deal.  'Fraid I can't remember any more specifics
> since it _was_ 11 or 12 years ago and I was 13 at the time and not
> paying much attention to hotel info but that oughta give you something
> to go on ...

There are a couple of hotels on Clapham Common which cater for building
workers.  They're very basic, just a bed and light with a shared
bathroom on the landing.  That was 25 Pounds (40 Dollars) for bed and
breakfast and is the cheapest I suspect you'll get in London.

It depends how much comfort you regard as minimum.

FoFP