OFF: Ziggy=Jimi?

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon May 27 23:31:18 EDT 1996

Hello all,

        I have a theory regarding David Bowie's song Ziggy Stardust, and
I thought I'd run this theory by the other members in this group to see
if any else has ever come to this conclusion, or to see if anyone agrees
or disagrees.  Possibly someone else might even have some facts that would
concur with this theory, or to blow it out of the water.
I am convinced that this song was written about Jimi Hendrix. Here are my
observations in support of this theory, based on lyrics within the song:

1.  He played it left hand
2.  Jiving us that we were voodoo - reference to Voodoo Child
3.  He came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan - Jimi was well
    known to arrive and play in a wasted state, well hung being a reference
    to the old sterotype of blacks being more generously endowed, and snow
    white tan would refer to the fact that Jimi played what was considered to
    be "white" music while he was of darker or "tanned" skin.
4.  God-given ass - David Bowie stated in a Playboy interview in the 70's
    that he thought blacks had the most perfect ass's of anyone.
5.  Then we were Ziggy's band - Jimi became larger than the Experience, and
    then left them behind for his Band of Gypsies.
6.  He could leave and say hi - Jimi often spoke in paradoxes ( at least in
    the few interview clips I have seen) and would try to confuse people
    when speaking with double-meaning answers

Well there it is. I know it isn't anything conclusive, but it's my theory,
and until I get the chance to ask David personally, all I can do is speculate.
Besides, since there isn't much else going on except the UK tour, and I am in
the US, it is kinda slow on topics to discuss. I guess it's spacerock
related, Spiders from Mars, Starman and all :-)
So in conclusion, Ziggy = Jimi, Don't ya think, or don't ya?

Duane

--
"There's a Starman waiting in the sky,
 he'd like to come and meet us,