More Space Bandits Talk

Max Wilcox s333271 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 4 17:01:33 EST 1996

Bryan Pitkin wrote:

> Chuck said: "Hmmm...but what's so funny about "Mommy,Daddy said to me,
> 'get a job'" But have you ever read the lyrics to Flying Doctor?
> surely that is in the humour catagory!
> An outback "flying doctor" 'chewing it on out!
> the jawe harp makes it for me.

        Actually, I'm not sure how many people have noticed this, but the
lyrics to this song are taken almost directly from one of William
Burroughs' most quoted bits from Naked Lunch. The Doctor Benway section.
I agree that this is bloody hilarious - as is much else of the book. The
only diference is that the song has been but in an "Ausie" context.
        This fact has reminded me of several things I've been thinking about
for a couple of days. The first is regarding the comedy HW songs.
Calvert. That's all that needs to be said on this topic. Well, maybe
not. Calvert has some "falling on the floor" funny songs (at least in my
belief) - such as Moonshine in the Mountains, and all of Captain
Lockheed, to name just a few.
        The other point is the ammount of Burroughs influence in Calvert's
stuff. There's Hassan i Sabbah, Flying Doctor, Orgone Accumulator, to
name a few off the top of my head. Can't recall if there's any more, but
it seems that he was a bit of a Burroughs fan.
        I don't realy blame him.
-Max Wilcox