BOC: Buck Dharma and Mutation

Albert T Bouchard ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Nov 4 17:26:33 EST 1996

>Jason sez:

>> Buck's solos are so choopy and angular on this compared to almost
>> Has any reason ever been given for this strange one-shot shift from the fluid

Then Theo sez:

>On the first couple of albums, BD's solos were put together in
>pieces, punched in and out to patch things up.  By ST, he had gained
>considerable confidence as a mucicain and, no doubt, aided by the non-
>stop touring in support of the first 2 records.  By then, he was much
>more likely to complete solos in a single take, or at least had
>gotten better at punching in and out.  Also to blame is the
>relatively unsophisticated recording techniques employed on the first
>couple of albums [although I think this actually contributes to the
>slightly claustrophobic sound at times]

Nice try but I think not. As the albums progressed (excepting the live
ones) BD did much more piecing together of solos, at least while I was
there. FOUO has extensive multiple take solos, expecially BFY and VOTPW.
The first 2 albums had hardly any multi-take solos because there weren't
any spare tracks. BOC was made on an 8 track and T&M, a 16 track. Almost
all of the solos were done in one take.

Most likely was the fact that he didn't have a style down then and was
flirting with all kinds of country, jazz, blues, indian, bluegrass and
other non-sequiturs and he was avidly encouraged to do this by the dynamic
duo.
Al