More Xenon Codex Talk

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Tue Nov 5 06:25:55 EST 1996

>In message <01IBCBREXWS295MUYA at delphi.com>, HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM writes
>>Hmmm...but what's so funny about "Mommy, daddy said to me 'Get a job'"
>>repeating over and over again? Silly but not that funny. :) I think BOC win
>>the humour sweepstakes...
>
>OK it's not bust-a-gut comedy. The "get a job, get a job, get a job" is
>pretty apt, I thought at the time. The humour is in the samples like the
>snip from "If I Were A Rich Man" followed by sheep bleating, for
>instance. Then there's all those Looney Tunes bits at the end. OK it's
>not like a joke you can share down the pub but it's not exactly serious
>either. And of course, it rocks, there's always that!
><veering off>

Hey, back in college I made this special trip-tape, and I recorded the
bouncy cartoon noises (y'know, the spoink-sploing-boing etc...) at the end
of that song over and over and over (at least 10-15 times), that, sandwiched
between snippets of Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive' played backwards
('Overstellar Interdrive'...) and 'rapping' the coughing intro on Black
Sabbath's 'Sweet Leaf' back and forth for about 5 minutes at varying speeds
made for some pretty bizarre sonic backdrops - We scared all the straight
people away from parties with that tape....

As for Space Bandits, I think it's one of Hawkwind's weakest albums, but
better than Church of Hawkwind and IITBOTFTBD (the latter which is the all
time _worst_).

The lyrics to 'Wings' are particularly cringingly bad, absolutely a terrible
song (whether it's for a good cause or not...).

 Xenon is up there in my top 7 1/2 or something.