BOC:de ol' pop/rock broo ha h (a shade of "Dharma and Mutation" postings)

Jason Scruton scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Tue Nov 5 14:08:39 EST 1996

> Mike wrote:
>>Couldn't disagree more! That Tyranny and Mutation sound IS the Blue Oyster
>>Cult as far as I'm concerned. They had already sold out to pop music by
>>the time they got to Agents of Fortune! :->

>And [Daniel] writes:
>Yep, I agree -and I even think TM has the ultimate (not just BOC but...)
>HR/HM sound!
>I can't see anything wrong with pop-music though..[oasis  reference
>deleted, >but not because of any bias for/against them]...but I'm not sure
>if I want BOC >to play pop...

As the stormclouds on the horizon indicate, this resurrects the time
honored  question of "what be pop?"

Concerning BOC and pop, they did play pop songs on occasion, but in a very
original way, which allowed "pop's" definition to be smudged , as in the
existence of Metallica in popular music scenes (after all, music can't help
itself for being good AND purchased by the a decent size of the public. it
just happnes that way).  The musicality of the band, in all its
incarnations , is such that I don't think the music it produced would have
been as enjoyable if it was forced to stayed within the
"Hello-we-are-mysterious-evil-bandsmen- from-afar.Prepare-to-rock-or-else"
formula of the 1st 3 LPs.  Though I think even in the 1st 3 you can feen to
tugging away when you get to ST...

Throwing fuel on the fire of unknown origin,
(burn baby burn..oyster inferno! ...  somehow I dont think so)
Jason