playin' hookey from les Bonnes Soeurs..

Troy Harris tlh at RUBENS.ITS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 7 08:07:51 EST 1996

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 wrote:

> > > The vision was of a cloud approaching with lightning and thunder....In the
> > midst of the cloud was a 4-wheeled chariot, each wheel turning in a different
> > compass direction.  The chariot was pulled by 4 beasts, each beast having 4
> > heads, that of a bull, an eagle, a human and a lion.  Sitting on a throne in
> > the chariot was a brass colored humanoid with lightning coming out of his
> > limbs. In the vision, he hands Ezekiel a scroll which contains the "word of
> > God"...and he instructs Ezekiel to eat the scroll, which, strangely tastes
> > sweet like honey.  When the vision was over, Ezekiel lay unconcious for a
> > week and spoke to no one for 5 years, never leaving his dwelling.
> >

> > Now THAT would make a very cool album cover!
> >
> > John
>
> Yes it would!  The four characters re-appear in the new testament
> representing the four evangelists, though I don't know which is
> which...
> theo

  Not all scholars agree that this is the proper understanding of the
vision in Revelation.  Because of the precedent here in Ezekiel, most
understand the characters as the aspects of the word of God, in the chief
place being the Gospel, and the evangelists are the representatives of
that-hence the beginning of the tradition that the characters represent
them.  FYI, the characters are seen to be of the evangelists thus:

  The winged man-         Matthew
  The winged lion-        Mark
  The winged ox (bull)-   Luke
  The eagle-              John