HW & Burroughs

Bryan Pitkin pitkin at MARYWOOD1.MARYWOOD.EDU
Thu Nov 7 14:44:01 EST 1996

One final tidbit on Burroughs from one of my friends:

Actually, the Orgone Accumulator has less to do with Burroughs and more to
do with Wilhelm Rech.  Burroughs describes the OrAc briefly in a footnote
in The Ticket That Exploded (1963).  For info on Reich, see any of the
early no-fiction works by RA Wilson, or his own works, Mass Psychology of
Fascism being the only one still in print.  (All of the Doctor's other
writings have been banned since Reich's arrest in 1957).

I never noticed the Benway references in Naked Lunch.  Maybe I'll have to
reread it.

It's interesting to note how many late 60's british psychedelic bands were
influenced by Burroughs.  The Soft Machine immediately comes to mind, but
there are others... US Psych bands more often took their influence from
Herman Hesse or Aldous Huxley--again proving that the US is, culturally,
twenty years behind Britan.  Burroughs' influence in the music scene
started in the mid 1980's with Sonic Youth, Nirvana, etc.

Death Before Dishonor; Drugs Before Lunch.
Burn the books kill the priests smash the control images smash the control machine.

Rev. I   (IANLOHR at ACME.HIGHPOINT.EDU)
c/o BRYAN
pitkin at ac.marywood.edu