BOC,BRAIN: Sound (what Carl said)

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Fri Nov 8 10:46:29 EST 1996

  John writes:
  > I think part of it is the CD - I think part of it was the times (while
  there's alot of *good* albums from that time period, real *heaviness*
  > wasn't there on most of them - even those early Black Sabbath albums
  > with some really crunching tunes didn't have that "wall of guitar"
  > sound that started to become more prevalent around the 80's I think),

  A lot of times that wall of guitar sound comes from overlaying multiple tracks
   (8 or 10 or more) of the same guitar part.
  Although the parts are the same, the microscopic differences result in a nice
  fullness.  Since BOC only had 8 or 16 tracks to
  play with on the first records, that might help explain the thinness of tone.

  Chris

  RIP: Jeffrey Lee Pierce, mighty crooner for the Gun Club, who passed away last
   March (I just found out...)