BOC,BRAIN: Sound (what Carl said)

Fri Nov 8 13:59:35 EST 1996

On fre 8 nov 1996 08.46 "Chris Baxley" <Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM> wrote:
>A lot of times that wall of guitar sound comes from overlaying multiple
>tracks (8 or 10 or more) of the same guitar part.
>Although the parts are the same, the microscopic differences result in a
>nice fullness.  Since BOC only had 8 or 16 tracks to
>play with on the first records, that might help explain the thinness of
>tone.

    Mmmm, but but consider the guitar on HW's _Space Ritual_.  Live, one
guitar, one guitar track, but monster heaviness.  Back in the early days of
Sabbath Iommi was overdubbing, yeah, but only a two or three tracks maybe.
Now BOC wasn't using so much crunch as these guys, but I don't think that's
where I'm thinking.  It's more the whole sound of the recorded band--heck
the _bass_ sounds thin.  Why isn't it loosening bowels left and right? :)
Why is the kick drum not threatening to collapse yer diaphragm? :)

    More dynamic range, that's what I say.  I realise they were recording
on a budget, but still.  Ah, well, this has always been my personal beef :)

Cheers,
Carl