BOC: Buck Dharma and Mutation

Joseph Brooks jbrooks at CONNECTNET.COM
Sun Nov 10 00:50:43 EST 1996

At 07:54 PM 11/9/96 GMT, you wrote:
>On fre 8 nov 1996 18.58 "Joseph Brooks" <jbrooks at CONNECTNET.COM> wrote:
>> The first three albums were, to me, the definitive BOC. I remember being
>> somewhat disappointed when Spectres or AOF (whichever was first.. I'm
>having
>> severe brain flatulence here..) came out with its softer sound. I later
>> learned to like most of AOF but never really warmed to Spectres except
>for
>> "The Golden Age of Leather". Sure, the sound became more textured and
>> polished but at the same time, it lost its hard edge and raw power that I
>> got from ST, T&M and BOC.
>
>    I agree completely--I just wish that the songs I love didn't sound like
>they were recorded in a toilet!

Hmmm.. I see what you mean with the first two. ST was a lot cleaner, IMO.
Still, when, at 14 years old or so, I read on the back of the album covers
that the band included a "Stun Guitar", I thought that the stuff like that
twangy lick that comes between "Hot Rails" & "7 Screaming" fit right in. I
mean, it *sounded* like a "Stun Guitar", whatever the heck that was.. (Yes,
I am familiar with the background on that subject).

So, was the somewhat tinny, hollow sound intentional? Was it the equipment
of the day? (Al, are you lurking about?) There's something about that sort
of ringing, buzzing sound.., (the toilet sound!) that those albums had which
I think I associated with the BOC sound in general. I'm thinking that (at
least the times I saw them in the early to mid 70's) the sound could even be
heard live. What am I saying? I dunno.. but there was something there - I'm
just not able to find the words to explain it.

Picture the inner sleeve of OYFOOYK.. a big, dark, dank, echoey hall with
BOC playing at full volume. That is the feeling that "the sound" evokes for
me. I remember seeing them around 1975 or so, at a place called the Golden
Hall which had a somewhat gothic design to it.. I was standing right in
front of the stage left speakers, feeling every note in my very bones. I
recall that it was so loud that it was just right below the pain thresh hold
(and I loved it!). I didn't hear well for 2 days after. That was when I
heard and felt the sound I'm talking about..

-=-=-
"Joe, you're babbling again.. Why don't you get up and walk the dog or
something?"

"Yes, Dear..., one more email..."
-=-=-

Now Playing: "Billy Breathes" - Phish
     _
  | | \   *jbrooks at connectnet.com                             | "Three men in black
  | | <   *http://www2.connectnet.com/~jbrooks/music.html#boc |  said, Don't
report
|_| |_/   *WALSTIB / Keep our Internet free!                  |  this.." --
BOC