OFF: UK handgun ban

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Nov 11 08:21:24 EST 1996

This is the *only* time I'm going to say something here. Take it to
private email if you want to slag me off. Anyways -

> > Tim wrote:
> >
> > >Fight the UK Handgun ban: Join the Sportsman's Association of Great Britain
> >
> > I'll fight the UK handgun ban fight. Some sports should be banned...

I think y'all got a bit confused. We're talking about target shooting here -
paper targets only. You aren't allowed to do game hunting in the UK at all,
I believe, unless somebody wants to prove me wrong.

I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH KILLING ANIMALS FOR SPORT.
I would never shoot something I wasn't going to subsequently eat, and since
Tesco's is round the corner, I doubt I'll ever have to.

The legislation being proposed is not aimed at that, but banning all handguns
over 0.22 cal, possibly those as well.

> > Jerry
>
> Somebody needs a handgun to hunt 4-legged prey?  I know the 'sport'
> is practiced, but if sprtsmen just stuck with long arms then that
> many fewer handguns would be in circulation.  Tim, think about what
> you're asking for.  We Americans are drowning in handguns--and the
> blood spilt by their use.  Take a lesson from us.  And yes, I own all
> kinds of longarms and other assorted weapons, so don't label me a
> bleeding heart.  If people are legitimate sportsmen, then they
> shouldn't object to having to pass some kind of clearance to be
> allowed to posess and carry weapons...

That's the whole crux of the argument against the ban. We *do* have to get
clearance, ie, a Firearms Certificate. But the system is fucked up, & lets
guys like Ryan & Hamilton slip through.

I only shoot target 0.22 rifle, but if the handgun ban goes through, I expect
they will be next on the list.

Tim