OFF: Trainspotting

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Nov 12 09:02:06 EST 1996

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, SKARSOL wrote:

> Martyn White wrote:
> >
> > >Trainspotting was released in the US in the theatres...all English..
> >
> >         Well if it's in English, it must have been dubbed.  As I
> > understand it, the UK version is in really thick genuine Scots (as
> > in the book)
> >
> > Martyn
>
> you are correct martin,and it was unchanged.it is fairly easy to
> understand the dialog though. it would still be called English by many
> here,just a vastly different dialect.  rj

        `Genuine' Scots is not English with a thick brogue, but Gaelic,
an entirely separate language which you are very unlikely to hear in
Irvine Welsh's Edinburgh! Therefore, the average English person should
technically be able to understand a Glaswegian, but can they? Hell no!
Yours, from south of the border by quite some way,
                                                    Jon

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                      |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk         |
 | "Now, back me up on this, but isn't it always the same? You've just   |
 | got on the phone and the bath starts running? Back me up!" Harry Hill |