'Scots'/'Scotch'

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 12 09:28:14 EST 1996

>>From Jon:

> > >         Well if it's in English, it must have been dubbed.  As I
> > > understand it, the UK version is in really thick genuine Scots (as
> > > in the book)
> > >
> > > Martyn
> >
> > you are correct martin,and it was unchanged.it is fairly easy to
> > understand the dialog though. it would still be called English by many
> > here,just a vastly different dialect.  rj
> >

>         `Genuine' Scots is not English with a thick brogue, but Gaelic,
> an entirely separate language which you are very unlikely to hear in
> Irvine Welsh's Edinburgh! Therefore, the average English person should
> technically be able to understand a Glaswegian, but can they? Hell no!
> Yours, from south of the border by quite some way,
>                                                     Jon

Maybe the UK folk on the list can explain this:  Why is it 'Scots' in
the UK, but in the US it's 'Scotch' or Scotish?  For instance, we
Americs. refer to the species of tree as Scotch Pine wheras in the UK
it's called Scots Pine.  Also, more importanly, what do you call the
spirit, Scotch or Scots, and why do we spell whiskey different than
you do?
theo