OFF! 'Scots'/'Scotch'

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Nov 13 07:39:12 EST 1996

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On tis 12 nov 1996 11.22 "Andrew A. Apold" <mordru at MAGG.NET> wrote:
> > You mean in the UK it's "Scots Tape" instead of "Scotch Tape"??
>
>     No, this problem has been avoided by calling it Sello-tape. :)

        Well, no. It is Scotch tape over here, but it's tougher and
browner than Sellotape, and is the sort of stuff you put on heavy parcels
and so on. Sellotape is what they call Scotch tape in America, but in
Australia is called Durex, which gives never-ending amusement to those of
us in the UK with suitably puerile minds... Guess that's me today, yours,

Jon

P.S. I can think of no way to drag this on-topic bar that I'm sure there
must have been some Scotch tape in the medical bag of Uncle Bob's Flying
Doctor...

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                      |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk         |
 | "Now, back me up on this, but isn't it always the same? You've just   |
 | got on the phone and the bath starts running? Back me up!" Harry Hill |