Rhesus test monkeys in space

Karl Hiller khiller at NICKEL.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Wed Nov 13 17:54:58 EST 1996

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Christian Mumford wrote:

> I just read the other day this article on the russians using rhesus monkeys
> for testing the physical effects of space travel on people. The poor little
> guys got strapped onto a tin-can like device inside a rocket and shot up
> into orbit for weeks (or months) and brought back down and tested on (muscle
> deterioration etc.). The article didn't really mention if they were ALIVE
> when they came back down, or how life support (say, taking a crap or getting
> peckish up there while strapped down) functions for the monkeys.... I wonder
> though if it's necessary - it's not like humans haven't spent enough time up
> there.... and being strapped down in weightless space for weeks probably
> deteriorate the monkeys more than normal - what happens when they come back
> down? Do they train them back in shape for the next mission? I think not....

There's an episode of the Tick (a Fox Saturday morning cartoon) which
addresses this...

A monkey sent up into space gains intelligence accidentally and starts
bitching out the mission control people.  Haven't they sent *enough*
monkeys (and people) into space?  What could they possibly be hoping to
learn by sending *another* monkey into space?

The mission control guys just mumble, "Well, we, uh, wanted to see how
monkeys would react in space."  That's the best explanation they can come
up with.

Karl