HW: Calvert & Mothergong

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Thu Nov 14 10:17:18 EST 1996

J Strobridge wrote:

> Christian Mumford writes:
>
> > I just found a used copy of Mothergong - 'The Owl And The Tree'.
> > Bob Calvert plays sax and guitar (I think) on this - he's credited on every
> > song
>
> oops - sorry!  didn't realise this was in the discography.  Robert
> Calvert is alive and well and I last saw him playing the saxaphone two
> years ago in Glastonbury in a tent while Gilli Smyth was doing her recital
> bit.   However it is NOT the same Bob Calvert as the late much missed
> Bob Calvert of Hawkwind and I think this guy tends to call himself
> Robert Calvert now, perhaps because of the confusion.
>
> There is another Robert Calvert around as well who used to play with a
> band called Caterpiller (I think) and I'm sure the name has come up in
> other band contexts.   It might be something worth noting next time the
> discography is updated.
>
> obCodex related> does anyone know the exact (well - to the month anyway)
> release dates of Alien 4 and Area S4?
>
> jill

I could be wrong, but I think this other Robert Calvert (Mother Gong) is
Australian. Also, did you know there is another Dave Brock, who plays
guitar for some unknown US HM band. I read in a magazine years ago that
he had been approached to play Jim Morrison in a rival "Doors" movie at
the time.
Also, what Iggy Pop LP does our Dave Brock play on (if it is ours), and
is it any good???

William