OFF : Orbital

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Thu Nov 14 11:14:56 EST 1996

>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Andrew Gilham wrote:
>
>> Tim proffered the following:
>>
>> > I'm sure Andy G has some Roy Orbison tucked away next to Dwight
>> > Yoakam & Johnny Cash :^)
>>
>> Funnily enough, no - and it's a big gap in anyone's record collection! :)
But
>> the new Cash, _Unchained_ (again produced by Rick Rubin), is supposed to be
>> pretty good, so I might check it out.
>
>A news item in a local music paper also intimated that Johnny Cash's new
>album apparently includes a cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage."
>
>The mind boggles!!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul.

The album has gotten rave reviews in every Norwegian paper (wooo!!), and not
only does Cash cover Soundgarden, he also does a Beck song (which isn't as
strange since Beck has quite a bit of a roots influence) and several covers of
other 'modern' bands. Is Cash cashing in on "Geneation X" (blah!)? If he is,
he's doing it with style though....

On a totally different note, I saw a new album by Cathedral, where there is
a song called 'Cyclops Revolution' - wow! A Monster Magnet song?? No!! I
checked it, and it's something entirely different - I wonder if it was
conscious or not,
it's not every day somebody sits down and thinks 'Yeah... Cyclops
Revolution... nobody's used that! That's a good title!' Oh well, I thought
it was odd.

Has anybody heard the new Donovan yet?

Christian