HW: Calvert & Mothergong

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Fri Nov 15 04:29:53 EST 1996

>this reminds me of something somewhat weird. in moorcock's book
>(paperback ver,) the dragon in the sword, the author's credits
>at the back say that mm died of cancer in,i think, 1986. isnt that the
>year calvert died?  d'ya think the publishers somehow got them confused?

No, this is a typical Moorcock joke.  He wanted to end the Eternal Champion
stuff once and for all in _Dragon..._ (and made surpisingly good job of it, I
thought,  except he just wouldn't let it lie), and this was part of that
attmept at finality.

Earlier, he'd published an obituary for "James Colvin" (a Moorcock pseudonym)
in _New Worlds_.  When I got MM to sign my copy of "Colvin's" collection of
short stories, _The Deep Fix_, of course he signed it "James Colvin
(deceased)".

- Andy