HW: Let's vote for the favorite HW track-listing

Mon Nov 18 09:46:18 EST 1996

On sön 17 nov 1996 10.46 "Bernhard Pospiech"
<bernhard.pospiech at GELSENKIRCHEN.NETSURF.DE> wrote:
> Let us create a (phantasy) tack-list HAWKWIND should use during their
> gigs.
> Here is my offer:
>
> treadmill / golden void  / lord of light / spirit of the age / white zone

> / space is deep / parasites are here on earth / secret agent /
chronoglide
> skyway / sleep of a 1000 tears / love in space / damnation alley
> And what about you ?????

     First of all, we need a longer show :)

     / indicates a break between songs.
     > indicates a segue between songs.

First set: Abducted > Born to Go > Upside Down / PSI Power [rock version :)
Sputnik Stan / The Right Stuff / Master of the Universe > Elfin > LSD /
Lord of Light > Vega > Space is Deep >  The Reason Is? > Sonic Attack >
Brainstorm > Wastelands > Are You Losing Your Mind?

[Interval, during which bizarre films of space will be shown, acrobats and
fire eaters can perform].

Second set: Assualt and Battery > Golden Void / Out of the Shadows > Snake
Dance > Assassins of Allah / Invocation of Magnu > Magnu > Psychedelic
Warlords (Disappear in Smoke) > Blue Shift > Love in Space > Spirit of the
Age / Mask of Morning > The Awakening > Time We Left This World Today >
Alien (I Am) > The Watcher [spacey, ambient version]

Encore: Paradox / You Shouldn't Do That > Seeing It As You Really Are >
Welcome to the Future

     Very reasonable, I think :)  I've even included plenty of spacey
ambient bits to break it up.

     "Paradox" is one of the great lost HW songs.  So is "Upside Down",
which is short too :)  "PSI Power" should be as played on the _This is
Hawkwind: Do Not Panic_ album, of course--screaming, roaring rock :)  "Out
of the Shadows" as per _California Brainstorm to likewise force Dave to get
out from behind those synths and rock out on guitar.  He is the man.

     I think HW really missed a bet on the last tour by not pairing "Love
in Space" and "Spirit of the Age" (irony is a wonderful thing :) and I
think they _definitely_ should have reworked Lemmy's "The Watcher" to fit
their current sound, since it would have matched the feel of the recent
_Alien 4_ material and would have been extremely powerful I think.

     Notice I managed to avoid putting "Silver Machine" in the set list ;)
My personal preferences tend to lead me to include a lot of Lemmy-era
material as well as quite a bit of the 90s material.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
Dept. of ASNAC, University of Cambridge            -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)