HW: Ghent, 23.07.1996

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Mon Nov 18 03:02:36 EST 1996

>>>Here is the track listing from the 110 minutes festival gig in Ghent:
>>If that is the town in Belgium, it should be Gent, without the 'h'.
>        Nope, Ghent in Belgium has an h in it (pronounced gent).
>Gent is a contraction of gentleman (pronounced jent) as in the
>sentence "I fell over in ther gent's at the Hawkwind concert"

As Andy pointed out, in English it is Ghent. And like I would spell London
instead of Londen (official in Dutch), Thames instead of Theems (Dutch),
Köln insteads of Keulen (Dutch) or Cologne (English) and many other
examples, I would write Gent instead of Ghent. Didn't we all learn not to
translate names?

Jerry
The Netherlands :-)