HW: RHCP swiping Orgone Accumulator?

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Sun Nov 24 11:01:16 EST 1996

----------
From:   John Majka[SMTP:flossbac at WCIC.ORG]
Sent:   Sunday, November 24, 1996 1:03 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: HW: RHCP swiping Orgone Accumulator?

At 11:55 PM 11/20/96 +0800, you wrote:

>> In message <199611201034.LAA12170 at kirov.eunet.no>, Christian Mumford
>> <christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO> writes
>> >When I played 'Orgone Accumulator' for a rommate of mine once, he remarked
>> >that Red Hot Chili Peppers must have lifted the funky bassline from this HW
>> >song

This is just ignorant! Considering that "higher ground," is a Stevie Wonder
song, how could Flea have lifted it from Hawkwind? Come on, it is a simple
progression of E,G,A; I wonder which drummer lifted the idea of the kick
being on the 1's and 3's and the snare being on the 2's and 4's; maybe he or
she is a fan of hawkwind also. Perhaps Hawkwind are fans of Stevie Wonder...
-Bryan(not john majka, but his fedup roommate)

Well, lesse, I think SPACE RITUAL was released before TALKING BOOK, but IMHO there was no SW/HW cross-pollenization. What Flea was doing on the RHCP remake of "Higher Ground" was a bass-guitar recreation of either the Clavinet or the ARP synth underpinning of the song. Don't know if it was note-for-note accurate, but it is pretty damn impressive! And I'm not a SW or a RHCP fan, FWIW...

objCDPlayer: Moog Cookbook. If you have a sense of humor, GET THIS! I laugh my butt off every time I play this CD. I just like the fact that, by using hardware from the '70's and using a 70's mindset, these two analog/no MIDI synth-wiz'es have proceeded to "take the piss" out of quite a few of todays' top groups. The arrangements run from disco, lounge and R&B to pomp-rock and all are performed extremely well. And the "high energy" level of this release is great motivational music for getting my kids to do their chores to!

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com