Diversion!

Mon Nov 25 10:00:48 EST 1996

> If nobody want's to read the subject, all they need to do is hit delete.

...after they've wasted the time downloading it via their dialup link
during their regular POP/SMTP session to their ISP.  I thought that
specious "you just have to hit delete" argument had been debunked a
thousand times on here already?

Yes.  All you folks out there reading mail on your computers at work
or school need to keep such things in mind.  It's o.k. to veer off-topic,
but use the OFF:  header so people who want off-topics filtered can
save bandwidth.  Also, I believe the "spirit" of the OFF header is not
so that people on this list can hold extended discussions about whatever
they want.  Even off-topic stuff should be related somewhat (and asking
about what albums you'd take on a desert island probably qualifies),
and listmembers are expected to sort of monitor themselves and not let
even off-topic stuff ramble on forever.  There are other forums for
such things -- BOC-L was not meant to be one of them.

I support someone wanting to drum up some conversation on BOC-L if things
get quiet, but better to bring up something topical - like some obscure
BOC song reference or something like that.

"Cappuccino!"

        --- The Brain Surgeons, "Overture," _Box of Hammers_

That's what I *thought* they were sayin' -- it seemed too wacky to be
true.  Hey Al, this wouldn't have been meant as a BOC-L reference to
former member of this list with a fondness for coffee? ;-)