Diversion!, really BOH and cappuccino

Mon Nov 25 13:37:31 EST 1996

>BTW I sense that the end of BOH and Trep. are good ol' bronx cheers to
the "other guys". Kind of a "it's my music so screw you" challenge.
"Revenge of a thousand guitars", indeed.

I really don't think that was the intent.  I think it's more of Al's
way of acknowleging all of us BOC fans who continue to support his music.
When the band was first formed, Al said something to the effect of "Nobody
is gonna even *say* the words 'Blue Oyster Cult'", but later decided
that some of his fans would want to hear tBS do some of Al's tunes from
his BOC days (of course, I don't think tBS will ever do stuff that Al
didn't write, like "Don't Fear Godzilla Burnin' The Reaper For You").

Of course, Al has every right to release his own material, so the guys
in BOC shouldn't take offense anyway (whether or not they do I have no
idea).

There are a couple places where tBS do seem to sort of poke fun at BOC.
The cover of the *Career of Christmas* tape, which was a special fan-club
only release, was a spoof on *Workshop of the Telescopes*.  And, Al or
Deb did once confirm that the line "I see you in black" in the song
"Everything is Blue" was sort of a tongue-in-cheek reference to one of
BOC's new songs which has yet to be released (which I kind of interpreted
as - we got "see you in black" on a CD before you guys did).

But, as a big fan of both BOC and tBS, I really liked the inclusion of
those 2 tracks on both *Trepanation* and *Box of Hammers*.

John