HW: 1st Album

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Nov 28 05:02:36 EST 1996

>        Actually, this sounds like an opening to ask other people what their
>first HW albums were, if that sounds like an interesting thread. That,
>or what album would people suggest to someone who'd never listened to HW
>before, as a first album to listen to. I'd say Space Ritual.
>
>-Max Wilcox

Mine was Warrior On The Edge Of Time in 1978. I was a 13 year old punk
rocker. It changed my life. I was reading Moorcock books and had seen
there was a connection. A mate of mine had a tape but didn't listen to
it. I borrowed it. I thought it was amazing the first time I heard it. I
told the guy to give it another listen. Over the next three months we
both grew our hair and lost all our mates. I got laughed out of my local
"punk disco" for putting Jack Of Shadows on! So we started going uptown
(London) from the suburbs. Saw plenty of great shows. ICU supporting
Hawkwind. Psychedelic Furs supporting ICU. That great Hawkwind all dayer
with the Androids of Mu, Wah! Heat, ICU, The Lightning Raiders etc. The
Levitation shows where Ginger Baker did a half-hour drum solo in the
middle of Brainstorm, (I'm just going to the bar, I won't be long!).
When I was sixteen, I cut my hair. I'm a punk again, no more hippie-
shit. Then I went to Stonehenge........
--
Jon Browne