HW: THE BUSINESS QUIZ!!!!

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Nov 29 11:44:13 EST 1996

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Christian Mumford wrote:

> (Do That)
> 4. Now, isn't it funny, it seems something is going on here that shouldn't be
> going on - because not only is this song called "You Shouldn't Do That" on
> "X In Search of Space" back in '71, it's also written by Brock/Turner. Slip
> sideways thru time to the future again, and you'll find out that apparantly
> Brock/Davey/Chadwick wrote this song especially for us on "The Business Trip"!

Maybe Nik only wrote the "You Shouldn't" part and Brock came up with the
"Do That" bit? ;-)

Maybe Dave's blues heritage is showing through here.  In that tradition it
is commonplace to "borrow liberally" from others to the point that it's
very difficult to know who actually wrote what first, and correct author
credit often gets lost along the way.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.
It's just how it is.  Mind you, lots of blues people were screwed along
the way by their managers.  For example, although the famous (and highly
excellent) "As the Years Go Passing By" is credited to Dan Malone, it was
never written by him.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Brain Surgeons, _Box of Hammers_