OFF: Branson and V2

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Nov 29 05:28:37 EST 1996

In message <Pine.OSF.3.93.961129090010.12424A-100000 at alpha2.bton.ac.uk>,
dench <M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK> writes
>I read a press release about Richard Branson's new label a couple of
>months ago, and I wouldn't hold out much hope for any interesting
>bands/artists being signed.  His comment was, as befits such a 'bastion'
>of modern society, that they would aim at 'intellectual rock and modern
>classical music'.  Intellectual here meaning not intelligent, but
>pretentious and dull!
>
>Martin

Erm, I believe one of the bands thy've lined up are The Olivia Tremor
Control. I got their first album (on Blue Rose) and it's fuckin' great!
Sounds nothing like the above, but a bit early Floyd, bit Beatle-y, bit
Electric Prunes but y'know, in a modern context. They're from Athens,
Georgia but don't sound like REM! Very accessible, nicely psyche. Thumbs
up from JB!
--
Jon Browne
When one wants to get rid of an unsupportable pressure, one needs hashish.