OFF: Olivia Tremor Control, USA psych., etc.

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Sat Nov 30 12:36:26 EST 1996

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Jon Browne wrote:

> Erm, I believe one of the bands thy've lined up are The Olivia Tremor
> Control. I got their first album (on Blue Rose) and it's fuckin' great!
> Sounds nothing like the above, but a bit early Floyd, bit Beatle-y, bit
> Electric Prunes but y'know, in a modern context. They're from Athens,
> Georgia but don't sound like REM! Very accessible, nicely psyche. Thumbs
> up from JB!

When I bought my copy of _Succour_, the guy in the shop pointed out that
they'd soon have in stock the new album by The Olivia Tremor Control, who
contribute one track to disc 2 of _Succour_.  (He seemed pretty keen on
them.)  The track they do on there, "The Ships," doesn't really grab me in
a "must have" kind of way (okay, so they do have a hard job on their
hands, following the Sundial track:), being an effects-laden faraway kind
of affair that seems to scream "overt psychedelia [file under "trying too
hard"]", and, yes, the person singing does appear to be doing an admirable
John Lennon impression (but when you bury everything under that many
effects, probably even Lemmy would sound like John Lennon).  The track is
pleasant enough, but not enough of a lure for me to buy anything else by
them.  Does anyone have any better recommendations, or does all their
stuff sound like that?

And whilst I'm on at it, there seems to be a whole slew of american psych.
bands in that section of my local record shop that I've never ever heard
mentioned on here, e.g. Bardo Pond, Jessamine, Nurse With Wound, Magic
Hour, etc.  Does anyone have any comments to offer?

Btw, I notice that _Succour_ has now been released domestically in the
USA.  This release is a real bargain for psych. fans!  Hunt it down
mercilessly... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

ob2CD: Various, _Succour: The Terrascope Benefit Album_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.