off/other: The Banana Splits' eponymous lp

Chris Baxley Chris_Baxley at SONYMUSIC.COM
Wed Oct 2 16:57:41 EDT 1996

  Allan writes:
  > A highly off-topic query for you:  I borrowed the _Saturday Morning:
  Cartoons' Greatest Hits_ cd from a friend of mine, which has on it a
  cover of "The Tra la la
  > Song (One Banana, Two Banana)" by Liz Phair/Material
  > Issue.  All well and good, and a real blast to hear (I'm possibly a
  > bigger Banana Splits fan than I am a Moorcock fan, if you can imagine
  > that ;-). However, what truly piqued my interest was the liner notes
  that mention an eponymous lp with songs by Barry White and other noted
  composers.  Copyright > info in the lyrics shows (c) 1969 Unichappell
  Music Inc (BMI)/Anihanbar Music CO (BMI) (which I presume is Hanna
  Barbera, now apparently a Turner company).

  > I'd love to get this.  Any ideas as to where I could track one down??
  I'm really not even sure where to start.  Any help would be appreciated!

  I have the CD "We're the Banana Splits" with bonus songs from the (UK?)
  cartoon "Here come
  the Beagles".   I got it from Midnight Records in NY (http://
  www.midnightrecords.com) who had it
  in stock as of 2 mos. ago, but it does say "limited edition of 1000
  copies" on it, so..
  If you are unable to locate this CD, I'd be happy to make you a tape.

  There are 31 songs on the disc, all from the original shows, and most of
  it is pretty awesome,
  in a 60's bubblegum cheeze psyche kind of way.  Unfortunately, the
  booklet contains no information
  as to the contributing artists (though there are some cool pix from the
  shows.)

  Has anyone else seen the Ren and Stimpy episode about Jerry the Belly
  Button Elf, where Stimpy
  crawls inside his own navel and ends up descending into a psychedelic
  netherworld?
  The song that accompanies his descent into said netherworld reminds me of
  some of the music on
  this disc.  In fact that episode itself is pretty incredible!

  Also the Dickies used to do a great version of the "Tra la la" BS theme
  song.

  Chris

  chris_baxley at sonymusic.com