HW: Hawkwind

SKARSOL skarsol at EROLS.COM
Sun Oct 6 08:43:09 EDT 1996

Max Wilcox wrote:

>         I'd agree that there certainly are some sililarities between Floyd and
> HW. Probably my two favorite bands of all time. If you have the new
> release of "Hawkwind", with the extra tracks, you'd have "Cymbaline",
> which is from "More", quite a nice Floyd album in my mind.
>         I think the diference between Floyd and HW, at least in the begining,
> is the themes that they dael with. I always take Floyd as being a more
> serious experimental kind of thing, wheras HW are more for the
> drug-crazed person that pops up in me every now and then. Floyd aren't
> space rock, even though people may say that Syd Barrett invented it
> (well, he wrote one song about space, and another that had space in the
> title, and that's it).
>         I think that upon examination of both bands' debut albums, you can see
> that their influences are perhaps what separates them. "Hawkwind" has a
> very country/blusey feel to it, not to mention a dash of psychadelia,
> whereas Floyd had Syd's inspired creation, who knows where he got it
> from. Floyd, before Piper, were doing Buddy Holly numbers and just
> general R&B sort of stuff.
>         Anyway, I'd be quite interested in other people's opinions, too.

i think one of the major differences tween early hw and floyd was
the fact that pinkfloyd had top o the line equiptment,and backing,
while hw was playing on whatever they could get their hands on,
so hw never had the polish of floyd.
i think with better equipt at their disposal,hw would have had a
different sound,and so would have evolved into something else.
i dont know if this were better or not,but i have seen in a few assorted
interviews how hw sort of kept an eye on what floyd was doing.
there were a lot of comparisons between the two bands in those days.

i think that floyd carefully orchestrated their sound and schtick,
so as to have that mass appeal,and still be on the edge.

hw on the other hand did whatever came naturally,and i think they
might even have enjoyed the abuse heaped on them by the media...

rj