BOC: Good Deal?

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Oct 7 16:37:01 EDT 1996

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Jon Browne wrote:

> 3 CD set for 10 UKP - Club Ninja, Cultosaurus Erectus and Blue Oyster
> Cult. Is this a good place to start or am I going to get the wrong idea
> about this otherwise wonderful band?! :) I gather from previous posts
> that Club Ninja sucks! Is this the case?
> --
> Jon Browne

        Dear Jon,
                  buy buy buy! `Cultosaurus Erectus' is a brilliant album
which goes as close to space-rock as BOC tread, and `Black Blade' as
others have said on the list is v. like the HW Chronicles stuff: not
having heard that I'll take their word on it. `Blue Oyster Cult' is a
truly great first album, with no really weak moments, although there are a
few downright strange ones. If you like your rock heavy, slightly macabre,
and with madly ambitious guitar-playing, this will go down very well
indeed. The sound quality is pretty poor, but what the hell. As for Club
Ninja, well, even if you throw it away because, well, it's nearly _pop_,
you still got two top albums for a fiver each. Where did you see this
deal? It sounds like a good `for when I get CD' investment... Yours,
                                                                     Jon

 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                      |
 |         (01223 327450)                 jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk         |
 |      "`It's a Venusian space bassist,' said Turner the bird being."   |
 |            (Hawkwind, sleeve notes to 'Doremi Fasol Latido')          |