HW: cover songs

Wed Oct 16 11:35:37 EDT 1996

--On ons 16 okt 1996 11.19 "Christian Mumford" <mumford at EUNET.NO> wrote:
> Hawkwind have done a few cover songs, but I wonder what else they have
> covered live? Recently Bernhard posted that they had covered Velvet
> Underground's 'Waiting for My Man' live, and they have also covered Pink
> Floyd's 'Cymbaline' and Rolling Stones' 'Gimme Shelter'.... does anybody
> know what else they have covered live or otherwise? Is 'Shot Down In the
> Night' an original Hawkwind song?

    I think "SDitN" was recorded by Steve Swindells for his solo album
after he left HW, so I guess that makes it an original HW recording.  The
only other thing which I can think of that comes close is a cover of
Zappa's "City of Tiny Lights" which I think got played on an Agents of
Chaos tour in the early 80s?  I think there was also a mid-80s gig where
Brock didn't show up and HLL had them doing loads of Hendrix covers or
something ;)  I'm not sure that any of that stuff (FZ or Hendrix) was
recorded (officially anyway).

    BTW, having grown tired of receiving endless number of fancy-format
messages I couldn't read I've decided to become part of the problem and get
a fancy-email program.  Hope this is all readable :)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                            * "Lever vi inte i ett
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             *  fritt land kanske?"
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    *
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic, Cambridge *  -- Pippi Langstrump