HW: cover songs

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Wed Oct 16 10:04:32 EDT 1996

M Holmes wrote:

> Christian Mumford writes:
>
> > Hawkwind have done a few cover songs, but I wonder what else they have
> > covered live? Recently Bernhard posted that they had covered Velvet
> > Underground's 'Waiting for My Man' live, and they have also covered Pink
> > Floyd's 'Cymbaline' and Rolling Stones' 'Gimme Shelter'.... does anybody
> > know what else they have covered live or otherwise?
>
> They've done "All Along the Watchtower" and "City of Tiny Lights".
> There's also another tracks from (I think) one of the Acid Daze gigs
> which I suspect is a cover of something. Bernhard?
>
> > Is 'Shot Down In the
> > Night' an original Hawkwind song?
>
> Steve Swindells wrote this. It's on his Fresh Blood album in IMHO a much
> poorer version.
>
> > Christian
>
> FoFP

First of all, I know they aren't really HW covers, but as they appear on
HW albums, what about Dave Brock's early blues recordings?
Would you also classify "Watching the Grass Grow," "Ejection," & "The
Right Stuff" as covers?
Also, I think the HW version of "Shot Down in the Night" was released
first. Though I think Steve Swindell's album came out a very few months
later, therefore it may have been recorded first. It's hard to classify
ongs that have been written by members as covers. By the way, has anyone
ever seen (or have a copy) of the film clip of "Bitter & Twisted?" It
features the line up from Steve's album (Huw, Simon, etc.)

William