HW: cover songs

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Oct 16 13:49:16 EDT 1996

Mike Holmes writes:

> shillada at gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com writes:
>
> > I'm not so sure if some of these are covers, or HW songs I'm unfamiliar with.
>
> > in the mood [1982.10.24, BRADFORD, ST.  GEORGES HALL] (Glenn Miller
> > jazz classic ? )
>
> Yep, I remember finding that on the tape. My mother, a Glenn Miller fan,
> was somewhat gobsmacked at Hawkwind ("that awful din") covering Glenn
> Miller.
>
> I'm fairly sure I once hear Nik's band doing "American Patrol" too.

There is, of course, "In the Mood (nude)" on the Inner City Unit album
_Maximum Effect_.  It starts of pretty normal and then heads off into a
high-speed gonzoid version.  Great stuff.  Maybe Nik was introducing a
bit of ICU into the Hawkwind repertoire (a la "Watching the Grass Grow").
Is the cover on the tape fairly straightforward, or does it really pick
up speed as it goes on?

Cheers,

Paul.

ob3CD: Frank Zappa, _L\"ather_