OFF: silly lyrics

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Sat Oct 19 20:04:24 EDT 1996

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Jerry wrote:

> Troy stated:
>
> >As long as it is not "oooh yeah baby the juice is running down my leg"
> >(remember that quote fans?) lyrics a'la KISS, it should be fine.
>
> Blues guitarist Robert Johnson recorded a song in 1937 including a line like
> that. It doesn't sound that silly when he's singing it...

Sunday, June 20, 1937, Dallas, Texas, to be exact ("Traveling Riverside
Blues").  The ribald double-entendre has a long history in the blues
tradition, e.g. Mississippi John Hurt's "Candy Man Blues."  And some
folks, e.g. Bo Carter, made their entire living out of it (with such songs
as "Cigarette Blues," "Banana in Your Fruit Basket," "My Pencil Won't
Write No More," "Pussy Cat Blues," and so on).

Cheers,

Paul.

ob3CD: Frank Zappa, _L\"ather_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.