HW : Hammersmith supports '79, '80

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Sun Oct 20 16:23:32 EDT 1996

Craig "email-geezer" :-) says--

> Japan fan here)! While David Sylvan' voice may have been the ultimate in =
> punk-snottiness on the first two releases, the musicians were top-notch =
> (FYI, Japans' keyboardist Richard Barberei is now the keyboardist for =
> Porcupine Tree). Later incarnations of the band had Sylvan in more of a =
> Bowie-clone mode. Probably the best new-wave band to come out of the =
> scene. I didn't care at all for "Tin Drum", too Asian-sounding and none =
> of Rob Deans' excellent guitar work, but the rest were GREAT! I think =
> that the first album "Adolescent Sex" was the overall best, especially =
> for the second side (the jazzy jam of "Suburban Love", the funky title =
> track and the powerful "Television". Tons of synths and kybds, which set =
> them apart from the rest of the punk scene.)
>
> Any other Japan fans here?

I really haven't heard much--may have to pick up Adolescent Sex. Good
title! :-)

I am VERY fond of the two Sylvian/Fripp collaborations, The First Day,
and Damage. I also like Mick Karn's solo albums, especially The Tooth
Mother.

Didn't Simon House play on one or more Japan albums?

Guido

obCDplayer--Tidal by Fiona Apple. This album is AWESOME! Who needs Sheryl
Crow, Alanis Morissette and Jewel, when there's talent like this?

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse