HW : Hammersmith supports '79, '80

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 21 10:49:38 EDT 1996

Jon Browne writes:

> I remember DbD and Vardis getting *the* worst treatment I've seen of a
> support except Cardiacs doing the Marillion tour, (I hasten to add, I
> was there for the Cardiacs.)
>
> Evidently in those days, one showed just how much you loved the Hawks by
> telling the support how shit they were and chanting "Hawkwind" all the
> way through their set as if that would speed Hawkwind's arrival on stage
> or give Dave a warm glow when he saw how dedicated the fans were :)
>
> DbD walked off stage I remember. Vardis, a year later, took even more
> abuse but Steve Zodiac got one of the biggest cheers of the night when
> he said something like "You can shout all you like, we're not going
> fuckin' anywhere. We're not Doll by Doll!"

In 1978 at Edinburgh's Usher Hall, Patrick Fitzgerald, "The Punk Poet",
was treated to booing and the "HAWKWIND!" mantra. The only cheer was
when someone thrw a paper glider from the gods and it executed a perfect
landing on the stage. The Punk Poet burst into tears and fled the stage.
I felt a bit sorry for him for a bit, then went to the bar.

> Jon Browne

FoFP