OTHER: Japan (Was HW: Hammersmith...)

Craig A. Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Mon Oct 21 08:59:27 EDT 1996

----------
From:   Guido Vacano[SMTP:gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU]
Sent:   Sunday, October 20, 1996 4:23 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: HW : Hammersmith supports '79, '80

Craig "email-geezer" :-) says--
My Japan description DELETED:

I really haven't heard much--may have to pick up Adolescent Sex. Good
title! :-)

"AS" and "Obscure Alternatives" have Sylvian in full-punk sneer. From "Quiet Life" onwards, his vocal style is much more refined (the Bowie Thin White Duke persona comparison) and the punkish energy is replaced with a more sophisticated tone, although there is hints of that on "OA".

Actually, the best version of "AS" can be found on one of the two 'best-of' releases, "Assemblage" or "Souvenir Of Japan", much mo' funky! Although neither of these release have the very best tracks on them, IMHO, they are both worthwhile for the more obscure singles and remixes.

I am VERY fond of the two Sylvian/Fripp collaborations, The First Day,
and Damage. I also like Mick Karn's solo albums, especially The Tooth
Mother.

Sylvians' first two solos, "Brilliant Trees" and "Down To Earth" (featuring BeBop Deluxe axeman Bill Nelson) are also worth tracking down. The pseudo-reunion release (no Rob Dean, but with the master of the "infinite guitar" Michael Brook filling in) of "Rain-Tree-Crow" is also worthy of a spin or two. There is a Web site that is handling the label that was started by a couple of the ex-Japan members; I can post that if you (or anyone else) is interested...

Didn't Simon House play on one or more Japan albums?

Correct-a-mundo! He was on the "Tin Drum" release, on violin only. I really wish I could get into this album more...

Guido

obCDplayer--Tidal by Fiona Apple. This album is AWESOME! Who needs Sheryl
Crow, Alanis Morissette and Jewel, when there's talent like this?

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse

objCDPlayer: Mastermind Vol. III / Tragic Symphony

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com