Offensive mail

Alun Hughes a.hughes at NEWI.AC.UK
Mon Oct 21 11:02:26 EDT 1996

This message appears to have received widespread distribution.
The following is the advice just given to UK academic computer
centre directors.

Alun

>X400-Received: by mta orca.ukerna.ac.uk in /PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD= /C=GB/; Relayed;
>               Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:10:41 +0100
>X400-Received: by mta orca.ukerna.ac.uk in /PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD= /C=GB/; Relayed;
>               Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:07:53 +0100
>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:07:53 +0100
>X400-Originator: Directors-administrator at ukerna.ac.uk
>X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
>X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD=
/C=GB/;orca.ukerna.:213320:961021101042]
>From: Rodney Tillotson <Rodney.Tillotson at ukerna.ac.uk>
>To: Directors list <Directors at ukerna.ac.uk>
>Subject: Offensive mail
>Sender: Directors-administrator at ukerna.ac.uk
>
>Directors of JANET connected organizations:
>

>Some, and probably many, users in your organization will almost certainly
>have received or be about to receive a mail message purporting to be from an
>individual in the New York area trading in pornographic material.
>
>This is likely to be an attack on the good name of that individual by some
>other person or people; however, the material will offend many of those who
>receive it (it offends me, for a start) and you may have complaints.
>
>UKERNA is taking what actions can be taken; not all of these can be publicly
>disclosed. Meanwhile I hope you will be able to reassure any of your users
>who complain.
>
>The standing advice on junk mail applies - that you simply dispose of it as
>soon as you can. You may wish to point out to users or others that (as in most
>cases) allowing yourself the very natural angry response is playing the game
>which those who cause the nuisance want you to play. You will be positively
>contributing to a solution by showing restraint.
>

>Any Directors who wish to discuss this in more detail may contact JANET
>Customer Service or myself.
>
>Rodney.

Alun Hughes
Head of Information Services
North East Wales Institute of Higher Education
Plas Coch, Mold Road, Wrexham, LL11 2AW
a.hughes at newi.ac.uk
Phone: 01978 293253
Fax: 01978 293254