OFF : CD Waste of Money

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Oct 21 12:56:10 EDT 1996

> > Got anything by Pete Namlook on his Fax label? He puts out more
> > ambient/techno records in three months than the Hawks do in two decades.
> > Except it's largely cack! One particlar ambient effort I bought is about
> > an hour of a piano playing one note every 45 seconds or so..............

> > No matter how ripped I am, it still stinks!

The man sure is prolific. I guess with such a choice there's a high chance
of reeling in some crap, though one of the compilation albums (compilations
of one bloke's output ... duh) is rather pleasant.

> This sort of reminds me of my undergrad days, when I discovered that
> my university had a music library (woo woo).  I was in the mood at the
> time to discover more synth/ambient stuff like Jarre/Vangelis/TD/etc,
> so I asked them what they had in the way of electronic music.  I was
> disappointed by the selection, but they did have a large number of
> tapes from the MIT "Experimental Music Lab".  I thought *that* might
> be pretty cool...  yeah right.  ;-)
>
> It was pretty much exactly as you described above, except they
> occasionally left sine wave generators running to fill in the
> empty space between.  Geeks just shouldn't be let near musical
> instruments, Robert Fripp notwithstanding.  ;-)

I dunno. Mr Brian Lustmord makes some pretty eerie atmospheres
with nothing approaching contemporary musical instruments (as I recall the
list for Monstrous Soul is just a bunch of frequency generators and electrical
test equipment :-)

Tim

OtherObCD: Sky Cries Mary  _Exit At the Axis_   (especially Elephnat Song!)