OFF: Re: disturbing e-mail

Karl Hiller khiller at NICKEL.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Mon Oct 21 13:28:59 EDT 1996

> Andy C writes:
>
> > A number of people in the Microcenter have received spam e-mails from an
> > account at AOL claiming to be selling child pornography.  If you receive
> > this message could you let me know as I am contacting AOL and possibly
> > the police to complain about the rather sick perpetrator.
> > Andy C

I just received one today, claiming to be from "Steve Barnard" and
offering to sell or trade child pornography.  It has a real snail mail
address, which makes it pretty plain to me that somebody is trying to get
this guy in trouble (and it's probably succeeding...)  Even stupid people
know that AOL and the FBI have worked together on these cases.

Slander may not be as bad as child pornography, but it would still suck
to have some asshole send out spam email like this with *your* name and
address on it, wouldn't it...?

Karl