Artists needed!

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu Oct 24 09:04:42 EDT 1996

>--On tor 24 okt 1996 12.41 "Dave Berry" <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> wrote:
>> Just in case you didn't realise, some of their other tracks are based on,
>> or at least inspired by, other author's work.  I assume that the authors
>> concerned haven't complained about the music, but they (or their estates,
>> in Zelazny's case) might be more fussy about comics.
>> Examples are Jack Of Shadows, Lord Of Light, Damnation Alley (Zelazny),
>> and High Rise (Ballard)
>
>    I dont actually recall much connection between Hawkwind's and Zelazy's
>respective Lords of Light, excepting the title--or is there some deeper
>connection which my shallow little mind has missed? :)  (entirely possible)

Sam, or Mahasamatman, the protagonist of 'Lord of Light', fought a long battle
against the heavenly establishment and was eventually defeated (this part is
told after awhile as he remembers).  To remove him from the scene/eliminate
him as a threat, he is then transmitted, of sorts, into an electromagnetic flux/
cloud spectrum something or other which orbits the planet, something he
later describes as the ultimate experience.  It is this from which Yama calls
him back at the start of the book, to lead them against the hindu pantheon
once again.

It is basically this electromagnetic trip that Sam was trapped in that I believe
the song is describing....
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random
Baron
Barony of Silverwater
Kingdom of the Burning Lands
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm