More Space Bandits Talk

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Tue Oct 29 10:58:37 EST 1996

You know, with the recent slagging of Space Bandits, I just have to say that
I really liked the album.  With every new HW album, I harbor at least the
tiniest fear that the album will let me down, but surprisingly, this is
something Hawkwind manages to avoid every time.  When Space Bandits came
out, I was completely satisfied by it.  I'm sure lots of people will
disagree with me, but I think the weakest track is probably "Out of the
Shadows," which seems too much in a standard rock vein for the likes of HW.
I'm not trying to start any arguments (Hawkwind is certainly one of my
favorite bands, after all), but while on the topic of good tracks vs. bad
ones, let  me summarize my opinions:

     Worst overall studio album:  Sonic Attack (a lot of this album just
sounds                                   like
                                  low-grade heavy metal.  I still like it, mind
                                  you.  It just doesn't meet HW's usual
standards)
     Worst song:  Sadness Runs Deep (from Electric Tepee.  Yuck.  Embarrassingly
                  bad lyrics, uninspired music, and it doesn't even fit into the
                  "genre" of a Hawkwind song.  All is forgiven though.  One
                  genuinely bad song in 26 years is a much better track record
                  than any musicians I can think of)
     Best overall album:  Hall of the Mountain Grill
                          Palace Springs (I never can make up my mind--I think
                          both are ingenious)
     Best overall song:  there are too many great ones, the most recent being
                         Alien I Am

There you go.  Talk amongst yourselves.
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org
"I languish alone in my lair where you will never hear me laughing; I'm half
in love with dark and despair"