More Space Bandits Talk

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Tue Oct 29 11:19:37 EST 1996

John Majka wrote:

> You know, with the recent slagging of Space Bandits, I just have to say that
> I really liked the album.  With every new HW album, I harbor at least the
> tiniest fear that the album will let me down, but surprisingly, this is
> something Hawkwind manages to avoid every time.  When Space Bandits came
> out, I was completely satisfied by it.  I'm sure lots of people will
> disagree with me, but I think the weakest track is probably "Out of the
> Shadows," which seems too much in a standard rock vein for the likes of HW.
> I'm not trying to start any arguments (Hawkwind is certainly one of my
> favorite bands, after all), but while on the topic of good tracks vs. bad
> ones, let  me summarize my opinions:
>
>      Worst overall studio album:  Sonic Attack (a lot of this album just
> sounds                                   like
>                                   low-grade heavy metal.  I still like it, mind
>                                   you.  It just doesn't meet HW's usual
> standards)
>      Worst song:  Sadness Runs Deep (from Electric Tepee.  Yuck.  Embarrassingly
>                   bad lyrics, uninspired music, and it doesn't even fit into the
>                   "genre" of a Hawkwind song.  All is forgiven though.  One
>                   genuinely bad song in 26 years is a much better track record
>                   than any musicians I can think of)
>      Best overall album:  Hall of the Mountain Grill
>                           Palace Springs (I never can make up my mind--I think
>                           both are ingenious)
>      Best overall song:  there are too many great ones, the most recent being
>                          Alien I Am

I think I agree with most of what you say. I also think "Out of the
Shadows" to be the disappointment here (Though "Images" is just a bit
too long).

I think my least favourite album would be "Chronicles of the Black
Sword" for the same reasons you give. Though "It is the Business of the
Future to be Dangerous" also falls into this category for the completely
opposite reason.

For me the best overall album would be "Warrior on the Edge of Time".

All in all though, I would say that since Hawkwind bring out many
recordings on a regular basis, unlike many others, they manage to keep
their reputation as a great band afloat, by releasing a new album so
soon after a slightly disappointing one.

William