HW: cover songs

cjohnson cjohnson at HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Tue Oct 29 11:30:24 EST 1996

>>From my admittedly limited experience watching Japanese animation (I had
>a friend years ago who was really into it), Japanese producers are not at
>all shy about "lifting" music from American/European sources, with or
>without permission.  Maybe the puppet show just borrowed the tune.
>
>Karl

       I recently finished reading an excellent book entitled "Bootleg:
       The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry".  This
       invaluable reference (to "cookie" collectors such as myself) goes
       into great detail about the various copyright laws affecting
       musical recordings around the world.  Apparently Japan has long
       been one of the lax-ist(sp?) countries in the world for copyright
       protection.  Essentially, up until recently, non-Japanese musical
       artists had *NO* copyright protection of any kind within the
       borders of Japan.

       This led to numerous rip-off releases without fear of punishment.
       However, the high cost of manufacturing LPs and CDs in Japan and
       difficulties exporting them prevented Nippon from reaching the
       ranks of Italy, Germany, or Luxemburg in terms of units produced
       and distributed.

       This great book also relates many anecdotes told by folks
       identified only by their aliases, as well as stories documented in
       assorted court records following legal suits by record companies.
       Highly recommended as the best work on the market on this
       particular subject.  (Possibly the only work...?)

       Captain Cloud
       cjohnson at hpsc.hisd.harris.com

       ObLostJamming: Alan Davey 'Captured Rotation' - this is the sound
       that has been missing from HW for the last few years!  Baron Brock
       needs to let Alan play a more central role in the songwriting.
       Dig it on "Ancient Light".