Artists needed!

SKARSOL skarsol at EROLS.COM
Tue Oct 29 08:32:09 EST 1996

William Duffy wrote:

> > But the authors haven't been after the Hawks' hides (feathers???) have
> > they?? I picked up on the Zelazny reference in Damnation Alley, but he isn't
> > credited even if the title and scenario are straight out of the novel...

> They have said in interviews that these are where they come from. They
> may have got permission. They don't have to credit it. Anyway, it could
> be interesting to read a story based on a song based on a story!
>
> William

here is an example to consider:
iron maiden did a song based on frank herbert's 'dune'.
they wanted to call it 'dune', so contacted herbert for permission.
frank refused permission,either wanting money,or wanting not to be
associated with >that< kind of music,i forget which.
so they called the song- 'to tame a land'.they changed nothing in the
content,only the title.nothing ill happened,they were never sued,
so i imagine it comes down to an interpretation,which is probably
allowed.  idunno<shrugs>  rj