More Space Bandits Talk

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Oct 29 12:02:32 EST 1996

In message <199610291558.KAA26590 at wcic.org>, John Majka
<flossbac at wcic.org> writes
>You know, with the recent slagging of Space Bandits, I just have to say that
>I really liked the album.
Only a minor quibble but didn't evryone except Andy say they liked it?
I like it a lot too, it's a real grower, esp. "Wings".

>     Worst overall studio album:  Sonic Attack (a lot of this album just
>sounds                                   like
>                                  low-grade heavy metal.  I still like it, mind
>                                  you.  It just doesn't meet HW's usual
>standards)

Erm, Sonic Attack is a great album even by Hawkwind's high standards and
includes Rocky Paths and Living on a Knife-Edge. I don't think these
tracks can be described as low grade HM. You're thinking of Def Leppard,
surely ? :) Wow, if KnifeEdge is lowgrade HM, please, tell what *high*
grade HM I'm missing out on because RRRRock music don't get much
better!!
>     Worst song:  Sadness Runs Deep (from Electric Tepee.  Yuck.  Embarrassingly
>                  bad lyrics, uninspired music, and it doesn't even fit into the
>                  "genre" of a Hawkwind song.  All is forgiven though.  One
>                  genuinely bad song in 26 years is a much better track record
>                  than any musicians I can think of)
"Sadness Runs Deep" is one of my all time favorites. It's great. No
debate.
HW have done "one genuinely bad song". It's called Camera That Could Lie
and it's on ITBOTFTBD. It pongs so bad I can smell it from here.
>     Best overall album:  Hall of the Mountain Grill
Possibly.
>                          Palace Springs (I never can make up my mind--I think
>                          both are ingenious)
I do like PS, but the best HW album ever? Surely, that's Space Ritual or
Doremi or Xenon Codex or Electric Tepee or even SONIC ATTACK :)))

Could you point out how PS scores over Space Ritual?

--
Jon Browne