OFF: Voivod

Troy Harris tlh at RUBENS.ITS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 30 23:51:09 EST 1996

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Clore wrote:

> Does anyone else here listen to Voivod?  They're a Canadian band, most
> of their lyrics revolve around science fiction themes--sometimes
> derivative, sometimes pretty clever.  They started out as basically a
> thrashmetal/deathmetal/speedmetal band, but increasingly used jazz
> chords and got into a heavy Pink Floyd influence (including covers of
> Astronomy Domine and The Nile Song).  Best is probably Angel Rat, with
> Nothingface and The Outer Limits as close seconds.  Their latest, with
> changed lineup, Negatron, is more their original sound, but the CD has
> cool multimedia animation on it.
>         Let me know,
>         Dan Clore

  I have always thought that Voivod were an enigma.  I remember listening
to them in my younger days, when they were a metal band.  I can't imagine
them doing anything "non-thrash".
  If they have grown up into other styles of music- what do they do with
the vocals?  Still death metalish style or what?

  Troy